Relevance relates to presenting the gospel that appeals to families, singles, children, etc. including blending music genres that inspires worship. Our community is both inside and outside of our church, being open and hospitable. Taking the church to the people. Evangelizing, making disciples for the transformation of the world, and caring for the needs of those who can’t care for themselves. Being the arms and legs of Jesus.
When Christ is relevant, the community will know that we are here to meet their needs. We are a light that cannot be hidden. We have good news, and good news is relevant and much needed.
True relevance is understanding culture and responding to hurts and needs with the gospel, sacrificial love, and selfless ministering. (source- Kent Shaffer)
Seeking God’s direction is to be a praying church. Corporate and individual prayer is necessary for growth and spiritual vitality. Seeking God’s direction so that we are relevant to our community and attractive to 21st century candidates for discipleship.
Serving together in love – to have a cooperative spirit that is willing to work for the good of our church and
Luke 15 (the parables of lost things that need to be found)
Romans 12:5 we are members one of another
2015 SMARTER Goals S= Specific, M= Measureable, A=Action Required, R=Responsibilities Stated, T=Timed, E=Exciting, R=Relevant
- Use keyboard for music in worship, one Sunday per month (will extend into 2016) Capital campaign
- Install improved sound system and install video screens (will extend into 2016) Capital Campaign
* Make Missions more personal and relevant to our community
- Partner with community organizations to make our Thrift Shop available both on-demand and to a broader range of people in need. (partnered with NVCC to co-host Back to School Block Party
- Establish crisis response team that brings situations to the attention of the congregation in order to elicit a response to a need in the community (Missions Committee will handle)
* Make all church areas more welcoming & inviting
- Replace gutters so that rain does not fall on handicapped ramp (to be completed in 2015)
- Improve front garden area and Heritage Wall and between Church and Parsonage (completed in 2015)
- Paint Narthex, including ceiling (completed in 2015)
* Help people understand the need for faith
Establish Bible Study similar to Alpha Bible Study. This is especially appropriate to reach out and encourage the local community to participate. Revival Bible Study began September 22, to October 27, 2015 Tuesday evenings. This was a 6 week study, Alpha is approximately one year)
* Establish Children’s Choir to sing once per month (implemented in 2015 – began Easter Sunday)